Charity Commission phases in CIO implementation
Further to CharitiesDirect previous update on the charitiable incorporated organisation, ‘Unshackling good neighbours indicates CIO delay’ (July 2012), Kenneth Dibble, head of legal services at the Charity Commission, has set out the likely timetable for the introduction of the Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO).
Speaking at the Charity Law Association annual conference on 11 October 2012, he explained that the Charity Commission needed practitioners to help the regulator cope with demand now that the regulations bringing the CIO into force are due to become law by the end of November.
- Initially, only ‘brand new’ charities (ie not unincorporated charities wishing to convert).
- From 1 March 2013 -Unincorporated charities with income over £250,000
- From 1 May 2013 -Unincorporated charities with income over £100,000 From 1 July 2013 -Unincorporated charities with income over £25,000
- From 1 October 2013 -Unincorporated charities with income over £5,000
- From 1 January 2014 – All unincorporated charities.